Sunday, April 15, 2012

More Route 66 Adventures, AZ

Reconnected at where I had begun exploring Rt 66 in Kingman, AZ only this time heading east.  As before I not only enjoy the scenery but I am imagining what certain populations saw / felt on their travels.  The “Oakies” in the Great Depression must have felt fear as they crossed what was then a most hostile environment with all their earthly possessions and very little resources.  I also imagine the USA young families in the 1950’s taking in what was the height of modern activity, the family vacation crossing multiple states.  I admit to mostly imaging the experiences Oakies – I am a recent impressionable reader of Steinbeck’s “Grapes of Wrath”.
Hackberry General Store plus car

Note how many miles of desert ahead

Classic accomodations

Your own teepee for a night

So there was this guy standing on a corner in Winslow AZ...  Remember the Eagles song?
 
 
Happy traveler and the guy (nice but a bit stiff)

No comments:

Post a Comment